Windows Vista with a CanoScan N650U Scanner
I have an older scanner, that is actually a very good device. Unfortunately there are no Windows Vista drivers for this device, so I have been using it on my old Windows XP laptop – which has now become our bedroom Netflix player.
So I set about trying to figure this out. How can I continue to use my nice scanner on my Windows Vista Laptop?
Here is a step-by-step list of what to do:
- Go to Canon Australia and download the device drives for Canon CanoScan N650U
For win2000, win98, winme, winxp
sgcsu570d_n650u.exe at 3.21 MB
- Run the downloaded file, which will extract the device driver files to “c:\canonscanner\n650u”
- Start the Device Manager in either Windows Vista
- Locate the “CanoScan” device that will have the warning icon imposed on it
- Right-click and select “Update Driver Software…”
- Pick the second option, “Browse my computer for driver software”
- Follow the on-screen wizard to the end
- Complete – your CanoScan N650U should now function on Windows Vista
I have made this article as reminder to me in the future if I need to do this again, but if this helps somebody else that is great!
You must log in to post a comment.